The transition from a fibre based growing ration to a mainly starch based finisher ration has to be done gradually to allow the bacteria in the rumen to adjust and reduce the possibility of digestive upsets.
- Aim to stimulate intake so the rumen can adjust
- enabling higher levels of cereals to be fed
- resulting in a better finish
- Good quality roughage should be offered for the first few days ad libitum with limited compound feed
- Gradually decrease the amount of roughage and increase the amount of compound feed and/or by-products
- Ensure the availability of clean fresh water at all times